For parents and families
Babies born from July 2011 onwards will receive a revamped Child Health Record, commonly known as 'the Blue Book'.
The 2011 edition has been redesigned following feedback from both consumers and health professionals.
The book is an important place to record child health and development. The book also features sections dedicated to each year of a child's life.
The Blue Book includes:
- Information and milestones on child development
- Tips on caring for a child
- Where to get help if it is needed
- Growth charts, allowing parents to track their child's growth
- Immunisation information and a place to record immunisations from birth to 18 years
Take the book with you every time you visit your doctor, paediatrician, midwife, child and family health nurse, immunisation provider or other health professionals such as a dentist, physiotherapist or speech pathologist. While you are there ask them to record information about your visit or record it yourself at a later stage.
Some child care centres, preschools and schools may ask to see the book to look at immunisations when a child is enrolled.
For health professionals
The Child Health Record is a valued part of child health surveillance and is encouraged to be used by all relevant health professionals such as midwives, child and family health nurses, general practitioners, neonatologists, paediatricians and allied health professionals.
The record facilitates communication between professionals and between parents and professionals.
Download the Child Health Record
Extra pages can be printed from the PDF links below. Simply click on the file and print the page you require.
If you would like A4-sized pages:
- open the PDF file in Adobe Reader (see links below),
- in Adobe Reader, choose 'Print...' from the 'File' menu
- under the 'Page Scaling' option choose 'Fit to Printable Area'.
By document section:
The book has been split into smaller files so that you can download only the sections you need.
|Section 1 (417kb)
- Personal details; about the record; do you need help reading English; rights and responsibilities.
- Where to go for help
- My birth
- About me (health records)
|Section 2 (1.0mb)
- Growth charts and teeth chart
|Section 3 (118kb)
- My first year (0 – 12months)
|Section 4 (102kb)
|Section 5 (57kb)
|Section 6 (105kb)
|Section 7 (56kb)
- Now I am 4 (preschool and beyond)
|Section 8 (70kb)
The complete 'Blue Book':
To view PDF files downloaded from this site,
you will need the free Adobe Reader.