Home › Health Topics › Emotions & Behaviour > 

Young people, feelings and depression

depression; suicide; mood; moods; stress; down; dysthymia; hopelessness; feelings; teenager; sad; myths; stresses; safety; death; risk; anger; angry; anxiety; depressed; unhappy; crisis; bipolar; disorder ; CAMHS; mental ;

Young people deal with many changes as they go through puberty and the stage of development called adolescence. Changes in the brain and hormones result in changes to their body as well as how they think and feel.

It is normal for them to experience lots of emotions that can change quickly.

Some young people struggle with ongoing low feelings and may even be diagnosed with depression. Parents may feel unsure about how to help but studies show that support from parents is a big factor in helping them cope. It is also important to get professional help early if needed.

Find out more

 Parenting SA - A partnership between the Department for Education and Child Development and the Women’s and Children’s Health Network South Australia. 

Parenting SA has also published several videos including Teenagers and feelings.  

There are many online resources for young people including

Reachout also has a website for parents Helping parents support their teenagers through everyday issues and tough times.



Phone 13 11 14, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health services

Kids Helpline
Phone 1800 55 1800, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
For phone, web or email counselling, resources and activities for young people

Parenting SA


  • For other Parent Easy Guides eg. 'Living with young people','Young people, alcohol and drugs', 'Young people and parties,' 'Cybersafety', 'Violence towards parents', Young people who are gay,lesbian or bisexual .

South Australia

Child Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)http://www.wch.sa.gov.au/services/az/divisions/mentalhealth/index.html 

Youth mental health services (aged 16 to 24 years)


back to top

The information on this site should not be used as an alternative to professional care. If you have a particular problem, see a doctor, or ring the Parent Helpline on 1300 364 100 (local call cost from anywhere in South Australia).

This topic may use 'he' and 'she' in turn - please change to suit your child's sex.

Home › Health Topics › Emotions & Behaviour >